Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Buying organic food

I'm making a commitment to start buying organic food as much as I can even though it does get expensive. There are times when I can't find what I want in the organic version, but I'm not going to make an exception where certain foods are concerned (I'd rather go without), because of the large amounts of pesticides in certain foods. The worst ones according to A.L. Gittleman are strawberries, cherries, apples, Mexican cantaloupe, apricots, blackberies, pears, raspberies and fresh peaches. The non-organic vegetables are spinach, hot and sweet peppers, celery, and potatoes.

I can always find organic eggs, and haven't made the switch totally to organic meat, but at the point the chicken and most of the beef I get for the family is labeled "all natural, no hormones or antibiotics administered", so that's a step up from where we were a few months ago.

I really enjoyed reading Gittleman's book. It has so many good ideas and information in it, I think it will really help me make the change over to a much healthier lifestyle. My other two favorite books are The Cure, by Dr. Timothy Brantley, and The Detox Book, by Bruce Fife, N.D.
I refer back to them all the time for information on a host of topics concerning detoxification.

No comments: