Sunday, August 24, 2008

starting a new diet

I'm getting ready to get back on this diet after being only semi-strict for the past couple of months. I'm actually excited to do it this time, even though I know it's tough, because I know I won't be doing it alone.

I can tell you from experience with this particular diet that it is a powerful liver and colon cleansing diet. It's also very healing for the colon if you have leaky gut. The way I know that it's powerful, is that when I get serious about it and start on it, I have some pretty heavy cleansing reactions. Everyone is different, but you can probably expect some changes for awhile that are uncomfortable. It is never a bad idea to transition into a few diet for this reason. Especially if you have been drinking caffeine, eating lots of junk food, etc.

What I have experienced in the past is fatigue, headaches, muscle aches, and insomnia. I also have a temporary increase in body odor. I think it's harder on me, because I'm older, so don't be discouraged if you are reading this. This is all temporary. The faster you go into the diet, the more severe your reaction will be. Experts call this a "healing crisis", so try to think of it that way. It is what your body is supposed to do.

What helps to alleviate this is to drink lots of water (at least 84-96 oz per day), exercise (even if you don't want to) and probably the most important, move your bowels (every day, but twice if you can). I usually have to take an herbal laxative to be sure that I go. If I don't go, what is a dull headache, usually turns into a migraine that can last up to 3 days. I recently read that for muscle aches you can take a hot bath with two cups of apple cider vinegar, but I haven't tried that yet. For exercise, I usually walk/run on my treadmill, but when I have muscle pain, I jump several times a day on my mini trampoline. That really seems to help right away.

Also, this time, I'm taking Colonix, which I'm hoping will help move toxins out of my body faster and help me to get to feeling good again. Any herbal colon cleanser may help this process go faster, but I haven't looked into any others. I welcome any and all suggestions to make this time easier for us.

Just keep thinking about how much better will feel when you get through the healing crisis. It is totally worth it. YOU are totally worth it.

4 comments:

mybloomnart said...

Hi Ritz...so have you started back on your way of eating today? I am going to try (again) to eat my way. Which seems to help with my odor somewhat. I haven't found anything that works definite yet. But I will NEVER give up! I was going to start today but ended up having my sisters over and ate a piece of pie. Besides that I did ok. Not enough water though. But the way that I eat mostly is vegan. NO dairy for sure as that has horrible effects on the odor. No meat for me...same effect as dairy. It seems that what ever I eat...I will smell like.

Ritz said...

Hi Sherri: Good luck on your healing protocol. What all do you eat? I wish I could give up meat, but I think my body needs it to heal.

I start my new plan tomorrow.

mybloomnart said...

please keep posting your experiments with diet here...I look forward to reading and learning. what I eat...All veggies (yes even from the cabbage family, though I keep that low) The only fruit I have found that agrees is one apple per day. Sugar and dairy are HUGE NO NO's! Brown rice, pototaes (in moderation), oatmeal, rye bread (limit one slice per day max), coconut oil to saute in, lots of green tea and herbal tea...stevia for sweetener. I do LOVE veggies so eating lots of them is easy for me. Sweet potatoes with just a little olive oil in place of butter. Dried bean soups (homemade), lots of veggie soups, all homemade...You can use the Crockpot and it is not hassle. Noodles once a week, all this and I am still experimenting...because it is helping but not 100%. Sometimes when I get down I do pig out on chips and chocolate! sorry this is kind of long...

Ritz said...

Sherri - your diet sounds so healthy with lots of variety. I think that is one of the secrets to staying on a plan for a long time, variety.

I will keep posting - the good and bad stuff as I go through this process.

Thanks for telling me about your diet.