Saturday, August 30, 2008

Signs of Detox

Up to this point, things haven't been too bad as far as detox symptoms. I feel more tired than usual, and a little more achey. My breasts are tender, which always happens when I start a new plan. I woke up in the middle of the night with a stuffed up nose. I haven't slept really well in a number of years, always waking up between 1 a.m. and 3 a.m. In the Gittleman book, she says that is a sign of being toxic, and I remember when I saw an acupuncturist a few years ago mentioning it to her. She said that the liver activity is at it's peak between 1 and 3 a.m., and my chi (energy needed for optimal organ function) is unbalanced due to toxins, so it wakes me up at that time. She gave me some Chinese herbs to balance the chi, but I never took many of them. I'm thinking about giving them a try again, just to see if they have any effect.

The intestinal cleanser by Nature's Way that I started yesterday seems pretty helpful. I think it's going to help prevent constipation, which a new diet always seems to cause.

I know I have a lot of work ahead in order to heal my body and turn this around, but I feel very optimistic that it's going to happen. I've never been this focused before, and this time around I'm armed with so much more information. I think that all the reading and experimenting I've done over the past two years has prepared me for this. Two and a half years ago, I discovered that others had this problem too, and I started researching, and looking at the body odor forums each day. At that time, I really had no clue as to what to do, where to start, or even what the hell was happening to me. I knew I had a problem for a while, but was really good at sticking my head in the sand, and thinking it would just go away by itself. I didn't really start making any useful changes until a year ago, but I didn't stick to anything very long because I lacked the discipline to do it. There is a saying (maybe Chinese?) that says, "The teacher doesn't come until the student is ready". I'm ready now. School is officially open!

5 comments:

mybloomnart said...

Hey ritz, I was wondering if you also suffer from any allergies or sinus problems at all?

Ritz said...

Sherri - In the past I had sinus infections just about every winter, but since I cleaned up my diet a few years ago (eliminated white sugar and flour) I haven't had any. I have seasonal allergies to pollen that usually last for two months (august and september), and then clear up.

Today I feel so lethargic, I could just stay in bed all day. How are you doing?

mybloomnart said...

I hope your feeling better by this time ritz! What have you eaten today?
Are you drinking enough water? And do you take any vitamins at all? I'm ok...unfortunately, I made and ate some apple crisp this morning. I am alone for this holiday and tend to eat when lonely and restless..

Ritz said...

Hi Sherri - Yeah, I totally get what that's like - the lonliness and restlessness. I binged a lot during those times. I didn't like the feelings of guilt afterward, so I hope those days are behind me.

Yesterday I ate some cajun chicken with fresh broccoli and a sliced up tomato from the garden. The chicken is just a boneless breast that is sprinkled with cajun seasoning and broiled. I've been eating that for a long time, and it still tastes good to me. I like spicy food, because I crave the strong flavors, I think.

I am trying a new recipe today from my A.L. Gittleman book. It's cabbage soup - has lots of vegetables in it. Tomorrow I'm planning to put several of her recipes in a new post. A lot of them sound good, and all are "legal foods" for me.

Hope you are having a good day.

Ritz said...

Hi again Sherri: I forgot to answer your question about what vitamins I take. I take a liquid multi vitamin/mineral supplement called Alive. I only take 1-2 tsps. a day because the regular dose is to strong for me. I also take a cal/mag/vit D supplement and a trace mineral supplement every night before I go to bed. They are both liquids, which I think is easier for the body to absorb.

I'm trying to drink at least 84 oz. a day of water. Some days are better than others. Maybe yesterday I didn't drink enough. Today I feel better. See you later.